By Timothy Budd
Presents the result of an research into the problems raised by way of the improvement of a compiler for APL, a really excessive point computing device programming language. APL provides a couple of novel difficulties for a compiler author: susceptible variable typing, run time adjustments in variable form, and a number of primitive operations. in the course of the integration of numerous lately built compiler development strategies, reminiscent of facts circulate research, and a singular and house effective call for pushed or lazy evaluate method of code iteration, the writer has been in a position to produce a real compiler for the language whereas nonetheless conserving the felxibility and straightforwardness which are the hallmarks of APL.
Read or Download An APL Compiler PDF
Best compilers books
This booklet constitutes the refereed court cases of the eleventh overseas Symposium on Static research, SAS 2004, held in Verona, Italy in August 2004. The 23 revised complete papers provided with an invited paper and abstracts of three invited talks have been conscientiously reviewed and chosen from sixty three submissions. The papers are geared up in topical sections on software and platforms verification, safety and security, pointer research, summary interpretation and algorithms, form research, summary area and information buildings, form research and good judgment, and termination research.
This ebook constitutes the refereed complaints of the twenty second overseas convention on automatic Deduction, CADE-22, held in Montreal, Canada, in August 2009. The 27 revised complete papers and five approach descriptions provided have been rigorously reviewed and chosen from seventy seven submissions. moreover, 3 invited lectures by means of extraordinary specialists within the sector have been integrated.
Ranging from the intraprocedural simple case, this monograph makes a speciality of interprocedural optimization. It emphasizes the analogies and crucial transformations among intraprocedural and interprocedural optimization, and gives cookbook sort help for developing the underlying algorithms. it really is geared toward compiler constructors and researchers drawn to the systematic move of intraprocedural optimizations to the interprocedural surroundings, in addition to scholars looking a gradual advent to the sector.
At this time one of many major hindrances to a broader software of specialist platforms is the shortcoming of a idea to inform us which problem-solving tools areavailable for a given challenge classification. this kind of concept may lead to major development within the following important goals of the professional method approach: - comparing the technical feasibility of specialist approach initiatives: this relies on no matter if there's a compatible problem-solving technique, and if attainable a corresponding device, for the given challenge category.
- Trustworthy Compilers
- Reasoning About Program Transformations
- Internet Programming with OmniMark
- Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing: 22nd International Workshop, LCPC 2009, Newark, DE, USA, October 8-10, 2009, Revised Selected Papers
Additional resources for An APL Compiler
11. 3. Interprocedural Analysis With the knowledge that both the arguments A and B in the function copies are integer vectors, we can determine that the result is integer and vector as well. Armed with this fact, plus the knowledge that the argument L to the function spiral is an integer array of rank 2, we can determine that E in line 7 is also an integer array of rank 2. We knew from intraprocedural analysis that the rank of the argument to the function linear was rank 2. Although information about the variable E now permits us to expand this from simply an array into an integer array, this is still not sufficient to determine anything about the result of this function.
When printing an array, most APLs uses the smallest amount of space necessary to display the results neatly. Thus, an array of 0 or 1 values might display as follows: 3. Code Generation Overview 43 100 1 1 0 110 1 o1 o0 1 0 101 1 If one of the values in the array is neither a 0 nor a 1 but instead an integer value, the spacing of the entire output is adjusted accordingly: 1 0 o 1 1 1437 o 0 1 0 o 1 1 o 1 1 o o 1 1 To do this requires that the system save the entire array of values to be output in a temporary location, and compute the maximum size of any element prior to printing the first value.
5. 8 shows a set of functions that, collectively, produce Dlam's "Spiral of Primes" (Perlis and Rugaber 1979). We will use these functions to illustrate the utility of the dataflow algorithms that we have presented in this chapter. In response to a prompt from the input quad (line 20), the user types a small integer, say, for example, 10. The function spiral then computes an N by N array of integer values, arranged so that they spiral outwards from the center. as in: 2. 5 + N -;- 2 E +- L [; ( -1 + N X N) i C + 4 X 0 = C Z +- ( 2 p N ) p ~ LINEAR 1 1 2 Q ( 2 p G) € = (l, -1 !
An APL Compiler by Timothy Budd